1. What image should I use to flash with?
That Depends. Linksys has made 4 changes to hardware. Each change in hardware requires a
different image to handle the hardware. Be sure to look before your flash!
v1, v2, ACS or ACM, refers to hardware version
WRT1900AC v1 Mamba
WRT1900AC v2 Cobra
WRT3200ACM Rango <<<<< Newest Version to date.
WRT1200AC Caimen == A different model all together.
**NOTE** Choose the file ending in .img EXAMPLE Image: lede-mvebu-linksys-wrt1900ac-squashfs-factory.img This image is designed for v1 hardware.
Further information about the hardware versions can be found HERE
Wording contributed by starcms. OpenWrt forum member.
2. What's the difference between images ending with .img and .bin?
a .img is used to originally flash LEDE from a browser if coming from stock Linksys firmware.
b .bin is used for upgrading if already running LEDE: either from a browser (LuCi) or from a SSH terminal.
Example command using SSH: "sysupgrade /tmp/imageName.bin" OR "sysupgrade http://webLocationOfImage.bin"
c. If currently running LEDE, .img can also be used from SSH for a completely fresh start.
This is not normally needed, except possibly if you are changing distros (i.e. going from official LEDE to @david's build).
3. Okay I've flashed, now what is the URL to get into the router?
4. What is the user/password to get in?
root with no password. There is no preset password in OpenWrt/LEDE! However, be sure to set one at your first login!
The below instructions were contributed by forum member starcms.
5. Instructions on how to install a different Wifi driver.
a) You must be running @david's latest build with kernel 4.9. (this is everyone but those with a mamba, 1900AC V1 kernel 4.4.)
b) Login via SSH
c) cd /tmp
d) wget "Insert URL to latest wifi driver" Example: https://davidc502sis.dynamic-dns.net/releases/kmod-mwlwifi_4.4.79+10.3.4.0-20170810-1_arm_cortex-a9_vfpv3.ipk
e) opkg install "Insert latest wifi driver name" Example: kmod-mwlwifi_4.9.40+10.3.4.0-20170810-1_arm_cortex-a9_vfpv3.ipk
6.What are all packages that you include with the build?
Short answer - There are a lot of features included, but some of the most popular ones are..
- Webpage to make configuration changes.
- For mounting USB sticks or external hard drives.
- SAMBA service that gives network file sharing capabilities.
- allows your router to be reached with a fixed hostname while having a dynamically changing IP address.
- allows clients in the local network to automatically configure the router.
- VPN service to turn the router into a VPN server or client.
7. How do I boot to the other partition? There are several ways, but here are two common ways.
a) In LuCi, System > Advanced Reboot > Click "Reboot to Alternative Partition" and reboot.
b) In ssh, issue the following command to see which partition is currently in use. "fw_printenv boot_part".
There are 2 possible answers.... 1 or 2
If on partition 1, issue the following command and then reboot the router. "fw_setenv boot_part 2"